SHRIMP & GRITS
Shrimp and Grits / Prawns and Polenta (for those who can't get their hands on Shrimp and Grits).
Cooked in the EasyOven, this delicious dish is a firm favourite in our home.
When I first travelled to the USA, I decided to try the classic, as seen on the movie screen, cuisine. Shrimp and Grits was at the top of the list (so was Fried Green tomatoes).
I found a small, out of the way restaurant, with red and white check table clothes, and the friendliest staff you have ever met. The restaurant was a family owned business and had been around forever.
This dish is just simply delicious, and I now know why it is a firm favourite among the locals.
Here is my take on that dish.
As a note: Remember, if you are not able to find grits at your local store, polenta works well. Oh, and please use good quality butter not margarine.
- 2 cups Chicken Broth / Stock
- 2 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Corn Grits or Polenta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Cheese (grated)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 slices Bacon
- 500 grams /1 lb. Shrimp / Prawns (peeled, deveined)
- 1 teaspoon Oregano (dried)
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Spring onions, (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves Garlic, (diced)
- 1/2 lemon (juice only)
- In a medium saucepan, add chicken broth, water, salt and corn grits / polenta.
- Using a whisk mix well. This will stop the mixture of going lumpy.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Stir in butter and cheese.
- Remove pot from heat and place entire pot into the EasyOven™ and close.
- Leave in EasyOven™ for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy, about 8 minutes.
- Leave about 2 tablespoons bacon fat in skillet and drain bacon on a paper towel-lined plate before chopping into small pieces.
- Season shrimp with oregano and paprika
- Add shrimp, green onions, and garlic to skillet.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp is pink and cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice.
Serve shrimp over grits and top with chopped bacon.