Memories of car trips to collect mushrooms with my family, inspired me to make this dish.
We used to set out, often in fog, armed with baskets, and boxes to a friend’s farm. They had giant mushrooms growing wild.
Our treat was to pick the fresh mushrooms, peel back the outer layer, sprinkle a bit of salt on the mushroom, just simply sit in the field and eat.
I have always been a huge fan of mushrooms and over the recent years we have been lucky to see a wider variety of mushrooms for sale at our local markets and supermarkets. Cooked in the EasyOven, this simple dish uses Button / Brown mushrooms for this recipe, but you can use any variety you like.
You will also see that the recipe uses Basmati rice. I find that Basmati Rice seems to cook well, separates the grains and doesn’t go like glue
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Medium Onion (Diced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Diced)
- 500 grams / 1-pound Mushrooms (Button / Brown, Sliced)
- 1 Cup Rice (White, Basmati)
- 1½ Cup Vegetable Stock
- Melt butter and oil in a pot.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms – fry till browned
- Add rice and stock.
- Bring to the boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and place entire pot into the EasyOven™ and close.
- Leave in EasyOven™ for 1 hour.
- To garnish sprinkle over parsley and /or grated cheese.
- Serve with crusty bread